Thursday, September 10, 2009

What did TM actually do for you?

Deborah asked this very intriguing question:


For those who spent more than 10 years doing TM, what positive changes occurred for you as a result of TM?




I have found that regularly practising this meditation keeps my head clear and keeps me optimistic. I have also found that it keeps me pepped up so that I neither depend nor even use alcohol or recreational drugs (or prescription drugs for mood control). However, whilst I was entwined in the philosophy of TM, with its claims and fantasies, the benefits of TM were weakened by the unrealistic expectations I carried.

-§-

I have found that regularly practising this meditation keeps my head clear and keeps me optimistic. I have also found that it keeps me pepped up so that I neither depend nor even use alcohol or recreational drugs (or prescription drugs for mood control). However, whilst I was entwined in the philosophy of TM, with its claims and fantasies, the benefits of TM were weakened by the unrealistic expectations I carried.


I recently heard Herbert Benson speak and basically what you’re describing is a “relaxation response”. If you want a relaxation response there are 8 major meditation forms that produce this effect, most of them for a minimal price, without a lot of claptrap--and some of them are also have spiritual benefits as well. TM actually was one of the least beneficial forms of meditation but the most expensive--and touted as the best! For example in lowering blood pressure, every other major form of meditation did a better job! Even Progressive Muscle Relaxation was better.

-§-


Vaj, my short description of ready benefits I have noticed was not supposed to be an exhaustive analysis, merely a quick reply to Deborah’s question. Since this form of meditation does not seem to have universal appeal I am glad to hear there are other available methods of ‘relaxation response’.


Now, we need to hear from YOU (anonymity is absolutely ok, too):

No comments:

Post a Comment