Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Off-Topic: I'm No Christian

Yesterday, Fairfield Life poster, Billy G., gave me an opportunity to answer a "criticism" that is fairly often leveled at me: That the reason I write critically about Transcendental Meditation and the Maharishi Mahesh Yogi is that I am secretly a Christian. Below is a portion of our interchange that Billy G. graciously gave me permission to post here.

I doubt this will be the last time the question arises. But my answer will probably always be similar.

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "BillyG." wrote:
>
> I have a sneaking feeling that he's really pushing Jesus...could Mr. Knapp be an 'in the closet' Jesus Freak?
>

Actually, Billy G. I'm a Hindu--although I've bounced back and forth from Hinduism and Buddhism in the past. I was raised a Catholic, but left the Church in my teens. By 8th grade, I found Eastern thought much more interesting and satisfying than Christian thought.

It's always interesting to me when TM proponents suggest that I may be Christian. Doesn't TM support all religions? Why would Christianity -- even fundamental Christianity -- be an exception?

I believe it's because the first group to object to Transcendental Meditation and the Maharishi were conservative Christians. They saw the obvious conflicts between their religion and TM and SCI. And they acted on it: They attempted to have TM banned in public schools.

Despite being a devout Shaivite, I think they were right. Religion just doesn't have a place in public schools.

But I digress.

I am not a Christian. I do not accept Christ as my Lord and Savior. I have pictures and statues of Shiva, Ganesh, Buddha, and Saraswati all around me.

If you like, Billy G, I'm quite happy to post your question and my response on TM-Free Blog.

John M. Knapp, LMSW

No comments:

Post a Comment