Tuesday, October 13, 2009

How Could I Believe Such Stupid Stuff?

Look, you don’t have to be lazy, crazy, or stupid to join a cult.

If you are, they don’t want you.

They want as many rich and talented people as they can sink their hooks into.

It’s easy to stay out of a cult.

Never be tired. Or scared. Too young. Too old. Never get divorced. Or married. Don’t strive for success. Don’t ever fail. Never hope for world peace. Never feel anger at injustice. Don’t be too rich – or too poor. Never experience depression. Never aim for great happiness. Don’t get sick. Don’t seek.

In short, never be vulnerable.

You don’t have to be unusual to get sucked in. You just have to be human.

I joined my meditation group to clear my mind and improve my grades. Twenty-three years and $150,000 later, I realized my mistake.

I screwed up: I wanted something better in life.

And someone was happy to sell it to me.

J.


No comments:

Post a Comment