Wednesday, January 13, 2010

After Transcendental Meditation

Deborah said:
As to what I would like to see more of....All of us here started with TM to fulfill needs or desires we had that MMY promised would be fulfilled by practising TM. Most if not all of us here have been disappointed with the results. What I would like to know is what alternatives people have chosen, and how well they have worked.

Karina said:
In light of what Deborah wrote, how about a new front-page blog on the topic? That topic might get some conversation going again, despite the trials of using this new system.

Surely there is some research somewhere on what happens to people post-cult? What percentage join another more benign, but still a cultish religion? How many eschew all religion and spirituality? How many just go "mainstream" and join the local church? How about our resident cult-experts --- John, Gina, do you know the facts or figures?

My path (over many years) was to look at various religions and practices and I came to my own personal conclusion that I am an atheist. God, the absolute, or whatever you call it, is not an answer for me. My "spirituality" is about being human, to be amazed that I am alive for this brief period of time, with a capacity to love and be loved and to enjoy life. I like what Einstein said:
If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it.

What paths have you followed? What have you tried and rejected? How important is spirituality in your life? What does it mean to be spiritual?

No comments:

Post a Comment