Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Revisiting TM Initiation, Part 1

(Note: This is a four-part series. Revisiting TM Initiation, Part 2: The Puja ("Traditional Ceremony of Gratitude") was posted on November 20, 2008. Revisiting TM Initiation, Part 3: The Mantra was posted on December 5, 2008. Revisiting TM Initiation, Part 4: Bowing Down was published on January 1, 2009.)

Since leaving the TM movement 27 years ago, I have been impressed with how tenaciously my mind has held onto illogical TM beliefs, even though I have researched mind control, studied the dishonesty in the TM movement, been exit counseled, learned about suggestibility, etc.

I used to think that my indoctrination occurred on my five-month Teacher Training Course, where I meditated up to 12 times a day, leading to a state of heightened suggestibility. Later, I decided that the indoctrination came earlier, at a one-month course I had taken the previous year, where I meditated up to 6 times a day.

Now I realize that TM mind control started even earlier. I see now that some of the groundwork was already set in place by the day of "initiation" (personal instruction). I don't mean the specific beliefs were in place, like "Don't eat meat - it's bad for your spiritual evolution," but a basic mindset necessary for further indoctrination into the TM world view was already in place. These never-explicitly articulated, yet understood ground rules included: Don't ask awkward questions. Obey. Don't rock the boat. Overlook inconsistencies. Collude. Don't embarrass the teacher. Believe everything Maharishi says.

I did see people showing independent thought and asking difficult questions at the Introductory Lecture and the Preparatory Lecture. But by the time of initiation, I was already a lot more sheep-like. And the other people who learned TM the same day as me seemed to be, too. I mean, I don't recall hearing any pointed questions in the three days of follow-up.

So let's go back in time to the "Initiation." Fortunately for me and for you, the reader, I can tell you almost exactly what happened in your and my initiation room, even though it happened to me 37 years ago, because the initiators had to learn the initiation verbatim. My thanks to the website minet.org/steps.html. for writing up the initiation word-for-word.

In the waiting room, the assistant asks the initiate (student) to remove his/her shoes, and then, to carry the basket containing the fruit, flowers, handkerchief and initiation form, and to follow the assistant to the initiation room. The assistant knocks, the initiator welcomes the initiate in, the assistant departs, and the initiator closes the door.

The initiator offers the initiate one of two chairs and both sit down in front of an altar, set with a painting of Guru Dev on a raised dais, a brass tray, brass water holders with water, incense holder with incense, candlestick with candle, etc. The initiator takes the basket from the initiate and looks at the initiation form again.

Here is what the initiator has been memorized to now say, verbatim: "In this personal instruction, you will receive a mantra, or sound, and then the procedure how to use it properly. Once you know the mantra, or sound, by tradition, we keep it to ourself. Also, the actual procedure of meditation that you receive is to be kept private. For maximum results, all that we learn in private, we keep private. Do you agree? (Initiate agrees.)

Now, please come, stand here, (both stand) you would like to have a flower? (hands initiate a flower) and witness the ceremony which I perform in gratitude to the tradition of Masters who have given us this wisdom of integration of life. This is a picture of Guru Dev, His Divinity Swami Brahmananda Saraswati, Maharishi's Master, from whom we have this meditation. Now I'll begin -- and you just witness." (Initiator performs ceremony and then instructs initiate in how to do Transcendental Meditation.)

It is my opinion that in these twelve minutes, from taking off their shoes in the waiting room to hearing their mantra for the first time, the initiate has systematically relinquished more and more independent thinking and has fallen into the TM mindset. Let me explain why I believe that.

Let's return to the moment when the initiate and the initiator sit down in front of the altar. Let's slow down the initiation to a snail's pace, so that the initiate can maintain his/her ability to think independently and capacity to process inconsistencies. Let's see what questions the initiate might have asked if he/she were not already falling under the pressure to not ask awkward questions, to obey, to not rock the boat, to overlook inconsistencies, to collude, to not embarrass the initiator, and to believe everything Maharishi says.

My Fantasy Initiation:

Question from initiate: Is it okay if I ask you a few questions while I'm learning?

Answer from initiator: Sure.

(Stop the film! I would like to point out that, on Teacher Training, we were NOT taught to answer questions honestly. What we were taught to do was to give the answer that Maharishi wanted us to give. Thus, whenever I as a TM teacher was asked a question, I had four possible options:

1) If Maharishi had so instructed, answer truthfully.
2) If Maharishi had so instructed, answer with a prepared lie.
3) If Maharishi said to keep it a secret, find a way to hedge.
4) If Maharishi never told us what to say regarding a certain question, try to figure out what I think Maharishi would have wanted me to say - using the three choices above as guidelines - and say that.)

Start rolling the film again. Let's see what an initiation might look like if the initiate continues to use their critical thinking and does not fall under the TM unspoken ground rules. It is astonishing how many opportunities for slippage into unclear thinking exist in just 126 words.

Question from initiate: Is it okay if I ask you a few questions while I'm learning?

Answer from initiator: Sure.

Q: Why was I told to take off my shoes?

A: Um....It's part of the traditional ceremony of gratitude.

Q: Why do you take off your own shoes?

A: Same reason.

Q: But why did the assistant take off her shoes? She's not in the ceremony.

A: Um...tradition.

Q: You said I wouldn't participate in the ceremony, only watch it. Now you're asking me to take off my shoes. That makes me part of the ceremony.

A: Well, it's to show respect.

Q: I respect a lot of things, but I don't take off my shoes for them.

A: Well, it's the traditional way.

Q: Why was I instructed to bring fruit, flowers and a white handkerchief?

A: For the traditional ceremony of gratitude.

Q: But why those particular items?

A: Um...tradition.

Q: Why the fruit?

A: Well, it's symbolic.

Q: Fruit and flowers I can understand. But why a handkerchief?

A: Um...well originally it was a white cloth.

Q: But why?

A: Um....It's traditional. I'm sure you'll like the ceremony.

Q: But why are you doing a traditional Indian ceremony? We're Americans.

A: Um....Maharishi's request. For the teacher to remember to preserve the teaching in its purity.

Q: Then why not do it alone? Why do I have to be present?

A: Um....

Q: Is it in English?

A: No, it's in Sanskrit.

Q: Do you understand Sanskrit?

A: Just a little. I understand the translation of the ceremony.

Q: Will you translate it into English for me?

A: No.

Q: Why not?

A: Um....

Q: How do you know I'd be comfortable with its sentiments if you won't translate it?

A: Um...It's just a ceremony of gratitude.

Q: Then why won't you translate it for me?

A: Um....

Q: Will you explain the ceremony to me?

A: No.

Q: Why not?

A: Um....

Q: Well, that's all the questions I have for now. I'm ready to proceed.

Initiator: "In this personal instruction, you will receive a mantra or sound --"

Q: How do you choose the mantra?

A: Um...Well, by the individual's characteristics. We were carefully trained.

Q: What characteristics do you look at?

A: Um....

Q: Are you allowed to tell me how you choose the mantras?

A: No.

Q: Why not?

A: Um....to keep the purity of the teaching. So only people properly trained will teach.

Q: How many mantras do you choose from?

A: Um...a handful.

Q: How many?

A: Um....

Q: Are you not supposed to say?

A: That's right.

Q: Why not?

A: Um....

Q: I'm through with questions for now. Please go ahead.

Initiator: "In this personal instruction, you will receive a mantra, or sound, and then the procedure how to use it properly.
Once you know the mantra, or sound, by tradition we keep it to ourself --"

Q: Why?

A: To go inward.

Q: But you said it's the natural tendency of the mind to go to the Transcendent. So my saying it out loud or not wouldn't interfere with that.

A: Um....

Q: Why do you say "we." I'm the one who's learning it, not "we."

A: It's a little more polite to say "we."

Q: Why do you say "ourself?" That's not even a word.

A: Um....

Q: I'm through with my questions for now. Please go on.

Initiator: "Also, the actual procedure of meditation that you receive is to be kept private--"

Q: Why?

A: So that it's only taught correctly, by someone thoroughly trained.

Q: Please go on.

Initiator: "For maximum results, all that we learn in private, we keep private--"

Q: Why does it bring maximum results if all that I learn in private I keep private?

A: I just explained. To make sure it's only taught by thoroughly trained teachers.

A: No, you explained that to keep the purity of the teaching, I shouldn't teach it if I'm not trained. But you didn't explain why for maximum results, all that I learn in private I should keep private. Why will keeping it private lead to maximum results?

A: Um....

Q: When you say "all that I learn in private" do you mean just the mantra and how to meditate, or do you mean the ceremony, the altar, etc.?

A: Um....

Q: I'm done with questions for now. Please go ahead.

Initiator: "Do you agree?"

Q: Do you mean, do I agree to keep this private?

A: Right.

Q: If I don't agree to keep this private, then what happens?

A: Then I can't teach you.

Q: Well, I want to learn. This seems like a great technique. OK, I agree.

Initiator: "Now, please come, stand here--"

Q: Why should I stand?

A: To witness the ceremony.

Q: I can see it fine from my chair. Can't I stay seated?

A: No.

Q: Why not?

A: Um....

Q: You said I wouldn't participate in the ceremony, just observe it.

A: Um....

Q: Well, go on.

Initiator: "You would like to have a flower?--"

Q: Why would I want a flower?

A: Maybe you'd like to hold one.

Q: What for?

A: To feel part of the ceremony.

Q: But you said I'd just watch it, not participate.

A: Okay, don't take the flower.

Q: Go on.

Initiator: "And witness the ceremony that I perform in gratitude to the tradition of Masters who have given us this wisdom of integration of life --"

Q: "Tradition of Masters"? What does that mean?

A: One person taught the next, down through history. That's why we have Transcendental Meditation today.

Q: Then why is there only one person in the painting?

A: Um....I don't know. I guess that's traditional. That's Maharishi's direct teacher.

Q: What do you mean by "integration of life"?

A: One hundred percent inner life, 100% outer life.

Q: What do you mean by 100% inner life and 100% outer life?

A: Complete unfoldment of inner potential, complete successful activity in the world.

Q: Do you have 100% inner life and 100% outer life?

A: No.

Q: Do you know anyone who does?

A: No.

Q: Then how do you know that TM produces this?

A: Um...Well, Maharishi says so.

Q: Does Maharishi have 100% inner and 100% outer life?

A: Yes.

Q: How do you know?

A: Um....well, I know. He says so....Well, he never exactly says so. But you can tell....

Q: How can you tell?

A: Um....

Q: Did he get this 100% of inner and outer life by doing TM?

A: No, he got it by being in the presence of his teacher.

Q: Please go on.

Initiator: "This is a picture of Guru Dev, His Divinity Swami Brahmananda Saraswati, Maharishi's Master, from whom we have this meditation --"

Q: Why do you call him "His Divinity?"

A: Um....

Q: Is he God?

A: No.

Q: Do you worship him as a God?

A: No.

Q: Does Maharishi think he is a God?

A: Um...I don't think so.

Q: Please go on.

Initiator: "Swami Brahmananda Saraswati, Maharishi's Master, from whom we have this meditation--"

Q: But you just said you have the TM from a tradition of Masters. Now you're saying you have the TM from Guru Dev.

A: Um....

Q: Did these Masters only teach it to one other person, so that the technique was passed down from one person in each generation to one person in the next generation?

A: Um....I don't know.

Q: Or just like Maharishi trained teachers to teach it to many people, didn't these ancient sages teach it to many people?

A: Um...I don't know.

Q: How do you know these ancient teachers taught TM?

A: Um...well, it's part of the tradition.

Q: India is a country that has been in a lot of trouble for centuries. Are you saying that TM has been taught for centuries and yet India is such a mess?

A: Well, there were times when the purity of the teaching was lost. Guru Dev revived it and passed it on to Maharishi.

Q: So then there isn't really a "tradition of Masters." You're saying there were breaks in the teaching.

A: Um...yes.

Q: Never mind, go on with the lesson.

Initiator: "Now, I'll begin and you just witness."

Initiator begins to do ceremony, singing in Sanskrit and waving the fruit, flowers, water, candle, etc. around.

Q: Why are you holding that flower in that odd position?

A: Um....

Q: Why are you dipping the flower in the water?

A: Um...it's the traditional way to give gratitude.

Q: Why are you shaking the flower over your head?

A: It's traditional in India. It's different from the way we do things in America.

Q: Who devised this ceremony?

A: Um....

Q: How long ago was it invented?

A: I don't know.

Q: Why are you putting objects on the tray?

A: Um...Traditional way to give thanks.

Q: Are they gifts to Guru Dev?

A: Um, metaphorically, I guess.

Q: It's only a painting. The painting doesn't have any use for flowers and fruit.

A: Well, that's true.

Q: Why is the painting on a dais, higher than everything else?

A: I guess to honor him.

Q: What's in that bowl?

A: Sandalwood paste.

Q: What's sandalwood paste?

A: I'm not sure. I think it's ground up wood from the sandalwood tree.

Q: What's it for?

A: I think in India, people put it on their foreheads.

Q: Why?

A: I don't know.

Q: What's that stuff there?

A: That's camphor.

Q: What's camphor?

A: I don't know.

Q: What's it good for?

A: I don't know.

Q: What's that stuff?

A: Those are rice grains.

Q: Why are you placing them in front of the picture?

A: Traditional ceremony of gratitude.

Q: I can understand what a flesh-and-blood teacher could do with fruit or flowers. But what's he going to do with a few grains of rice?

A: I don't know.

Q: Why are you waving the candle and incense in circles in front of him?

A: Um....

Q: Now you're holding the flowers in your hands in a prayer position. Are you praying to Guru Dev?

A: No.

Q: Then what are you doing?

A: Um....

Q: Why are you kneeling?

A: It's the traditional ceremony of gratitude.

Q: Are you worshiping Guru Dev?

A: No.

Q: It looks like you're worshiping his picture.

A: No, I'm not.

Q: The Ten Commandments said "Thou shalt have no other Gods before me. Thou shalt not make graven images of God." I think this ceremony conflicts with my religion.

A: No, it doesn't.

Q: You said in the introductory lecture that TM doesn't conflict with my religion.

A: It doesn't.

Q: You don't even know what my religion is; so how can you know if it conflicts with my religion or not?

A: Um...TM is just a simple, natural non-religious technique.

Q: You said TM isn't a religion, but you're certainly kneeling in front of that painting like it's a religion.

A: Um....

Q: You gestured for me to kneel.

A: Um....

Q: I can't kneel before a graven image.

A: Okay, then stay standing.

Q: You told me that I would not participate in the ceremony, that I'd just witness it. But you just gestured for me to kneel.

A: Um....

----

End of article.

No comments:

Post a Comment